January 18, 2010

A Year's Worth of Obsession, Pt. 2

Here's part 2, as promised.

Brazilian Girls - Homme
As I said once, if I ever get married, this will be my wedding song.

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Elastique
The bass is sweet and so is her voice. Song's freaky, though. That whole album is kind of weird, actually. Suffers from Lolita syndrome.

Killing Joke - Pssyche
Underrated Wardance (which IMO isn't that good a song) single B-side. This song should have been a single, or at least part of a fucking album, not just some rarity in the vast KJ catalog. Probably one of the gothest songs by these dudes.

Atari Teenage Riot - Speed

Rawrrrr!!! Makes you wanna find THE MAN and punch his fucking lights out. Nice to work out to as well.

Puscifer - Rev 22:20
Sexy. Fuck, fuck, fuck, sexy, hell yeah. Seems like Jimmy was seriously lusting after some chick who apparently has a nice rack and gives good head. Think this chick should withhold sex more often, so long as it gets him to make such wonderful songs.

Uh Huh Her - Not a Love Song
Yes, I'm a sucker for tween indie pop. Sue me, I'm weak and infantile. At least this isn't some Animal Collective crap. This is more like the electro/indie '00s version of Alanis Morissette, but with less bitter lyrics and a drum machine. BTW, I hate Alanis Morissette.

Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse feat. Julian Casablancas - Little Girl
From one of my favorite albums of '09. Sounds terribly elitist and a little bit dark. I hate to admit it but I love Casablancas' voice. A little too Strokes-y (guitar solo esp.) but fuck, it sure is yummy.

The Twilight Sad - I Became a Prostitute

Boom! This makes me sad, very sad! Lyrics are powerful, perfectly complimented by the lush guitar work. Together they are able to produce the strange phenomenon of giving me goosebumps. At the right (or wrong) moment, this song could make me cry rivers. So play with caution, please.

Nine Inch Nails - Somewhat Damaged
Ok, here we go again with the NIN crap. I can't help it, I tried not loving NIN for a while and it didn't work. This song has been stuck in my head since I saw it live in June. So a long fucking time. Also, this song played an important part in my bout of depression last year. It didn't make it any better, but for some reason it filled me with enough anger to want to kill lots of people, which did help. Heh TMI.

The Submarines - 1940
Ahem, remember what I just said about tween indie pop? Um, here. This song has a surprisingly pleasant trip-hop vibe, which I enjoy. Like a less cheerful Bitter:Sweet song. Oh, I also love that the vocalist chick's voice doesn't sound like Emily Haines' in this song. Not so much anyway.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Sin in My Heart

Hah, I think I've been obsessed with all the songs from Juju at some point in my life. It was this one's turn last year. OMG, what a buildup! And the drums! And the voice! God, this woman is FIERCE!!!

Joe Bonamassa - If Heartaches Were Nickels
Oh god, all I can think about is how sexy and delicious that guitar solo is. Whoa. Takes me back to my teenage years when I was obsessed with face-melting solos. This song makes me wanna do things I have no words to describe. Oh fuck...

Black Kids - Listen to Your Body Tonight
Yup, still not over these people. Every time I listen to this all I see is colors. Everywhere. Song has some nice keyboard parts, and overall it's a fun, cute pop tune to shake yer booty to. If you have one.

Jane's Addiction - Three Days
Epicness. Holy crap, this song is The Iliad of songs. Kind of like the nineties' Bohemian Rhapsody but of course minus all the drama and the opera. This is why I loved Jane's Addiction when I was 14-ish and why Dave Navarro will always be my ultimate guilty pleasure. (see face-melting solos comment above)

Shearwater - Leviathan, Bound
There's something quite gloomy and beautiful about these guys' music. I've heard lots of music in my rather short 21 years of existence, and at this point, very little of it moves me. Maybe cause I'm cold or because I have emotional issues. Whatever. It's still nice to find a band whose trademark style I find truly moving. Kinda binds me to be their fan for life. That's these dudes.

Loquat - In My Sleep

Speaking of moving music. This is pretty girly, but emotional nonetheless. Sadly, the Shearwater formula doesn't apply to these guys - their first album didn't do much for me, but their second... fuck. Maybe cause they're not as good as Shearwater. Still, dark lyrics + pseudo electro indie = WIN!

Lisa Hannigan - Sea Song

Never thought I'd ever say this, but the lyrics make sense to me and I like them. Yes, I used to hate men with a passion. Needless to say, something must have happened to me to change that if I all of a sudden think this song is perfect. Equally nice: the orchestral elements and her breathy voice, which is reminiscent, in a way, of Hope Sandoval's.

New Model Army - Stupid Questions

Love. If you ever wonder what my taste is like, you should listen to this song.

Xmal Deutschland - Begrab Mein Herz

Did I mention I'm goth? Heh, I totally am. :O

Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Thank you Trent fucking Reznor for turning me onto the catchiest fucking song of the year. Heard this between the SSSC/NIN sets back in June and remembered I had that album and that song was kinda sweet. If this doesn't make you happy, you have issues and should seek help.

Blonde Redhead - 23

This used to be way cool back in '07. I love it simply cause Alan Moulder was involved in this album and I love Alan Moulder. Song's kinda great too, in an urban/NY-shoegaze/pitchy-voice kind of way.

The Duke Spirit - Love is an Unfamiliar Name
Word. Speaking of...

The Duke Spirit - Into the Fold
Daaaamnnn! Dirty garage rock is fucking sexy! Liela Moss truly does resemble a young Marianne Faithfull, and that is definitely a compliment. In fact, I think I just found a new role model.

MGMT - Kids
I'm hopeless. Gossip Girl strikes back. Well, at least now I can appreciate MGMT a little better. I used to think they were rubbish.

The KLF - Last Train to Trancentral

I always thought this was a cool-ish ambient band. Then I found their trance work. Whoa. Now I wanna go to a rave party and take ecstasy like all the cool kids do. Hard to believe this was made in the early '90s. :O

Bonus!
Morphine - The Saddest Song
Jazzy. Mmm, sexy but not in a 'in your face' kind of way, but rather in a dark, smokey, mysterious-type of sexy. I told someone this song made me want to dance and now they won't leave me alone about it. Heh, think I told you this, dude: I DON'T DANCE!!! I might make an exception for you sometime though, cause I'm cool like that.


You know the drill. Ta-ta.



----------------
Now playing: WHY? - January Twenty Something
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment